Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Newspaper extinction - how sad

By Chelsie Webster

I just read an article that claimed conventional media such as newspapers and magazines will be "dead", as technology is taking over, and people are turning to reading the news online, blogging and of COURSE the awesome twitter updates - LOL!

Yeah, maybe. I don't really know how to respond to this. Lets face it - Australians are bloody lazy. I don't know many people who leap out of bed at 6am to go fetch the paper to be read over brekky. Okay, so maybe we get it delivered now - but I haven't put much faith in the deranged man who drives that crappy little red car around Bathurst, hurling the paper at targets. Personally, I read the paper - 3 kinds of paper. The Blayney Chronicle which is of course an exciting read, the Daily Telegraph for all things sport only, and the Western Advocate for laughs.

So the internet is a great place to access blogs - but blogs don't have the facts, and newspaper stories are most of the time 70% fact. How do we know that some random nobody blogger is telling the truth? Television has been around for a long time, if we wanted to get rid of newspapers, we would of decades ago when we started accessing the news on television. I don't believe that newspapers are going to go "extinct", many people love to read the paper or magazine of a coffee during their lunch break. No blog or internet will ever replace that.

But once again, I really don't care. As long as the TV is feeding me my sport news, I wouldn't care if the paper went extinct. But then again...how would we get the tab guide?

No comments:

Post a Comment