Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Five blogs... by Jay Marshall

Today was my first ever glimpse into the world of blogging, so to gain a little taste of what blogs had to offer, I decided to click upon the following five blogs that were recommended to me by Blogspot, the very website that hosts them. Mind you, these are listed in no order of quality, but rather in the order I viewed them. I must say, I wasn’t extremely impressed by what was on the menu concerning blogs, but it showed me the potential they had when in the right hands. Read on to hear about my experiences, if you dare, but don’t expect me to be forgiving - I’m extremely critical and judgemental.

1. “Thinking Out Loud” by Kim Salyer. I believe this lady has a flair for writing; however the stories of her life she relays to her audience aren’t my cup of tea. It seems only the despondent pages of her history are offered up for us to read, and it really depresses me and no doubt every other reader. When I read a blog, I usually do it as an escape from the real world, but if I’m suddenly bombarded with far more drama than I already have to deal with, it really defeats the purpose. That being said, I still maintain the way she articulates and expresses herself is of a high standard. All she needs to do is cut down the proportions of her woe-is-me mentality and plate up some more stories about overcoming her adversity instead of drowning in it.

2. “Life of the Jet Setter” by Diggy. When I go to Blogspot and see the recommendations the website provides me, I expect to go to a quality blog. Let’s think for a second what makes a “Blog of Note”. It should be something interesting, witty, intelligent, well flowing and have good grammar. Diggy fails at all of these qualities throughout his entire blog. In fact, I hardly see what any of the blog has to do with jet-setting. His blog is just a medium for him to advertise clothing he buys and to spread gossip on all his celebrity “friends”. I highly recommend giving this blog a skip. All it is is a waste of internet usage.

3. “Madness and Beauty” by Violet Dear Canada. The name speaks for itself, this blog is completely mad but the messages it conveys are absolutely beautiful. This blog is by far the best in this list, combining true meaning and absolutely marvellous writing that manages to balance the perfect blend of subtlety and sarcastic humour. The blog focuses on the personal life of Violet and how she is trying to influence the world. Ranging from exposing the audience to an Orang-utan Rehabilitation Centre to showing the state of Orphanages in Africa to just her activities at home, this truly is a blog of meaning. Violet offers a side to herself that is truly inspiring, while not always dragging down her audience with the lachrymose stories by adding some good, tasteful humour. Go to this blog now if you haven’t already. It’s amazing.

4. “So About What I Said…” by Melissa Blake. I may come off very cynical and mean here, but I really must say this. Shakespeare does NOT like your emo, teen-angst poetry. And neither do I. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for self-expression, and believe poetry is one of, if not the best, mediums in which a person can reveal their inner feelings and true selves because they can hide behind a mask of metaphor and other techniques. But I can also tell when someone is exaggerating for the purpose of gaining an audience out of sympathy. Her poems are so melodramatic, I swear I’m watching a badly-scripted soap opera rather than reading an emotive and meaningful poem. Each stanza, though beautifully written, makes me cringe when I just see the same things over and over. That being said, her photography that accompanies her poetry is simply sublime, elevating her blog from receiving a “Do Not Disturb” sign from me to recommending opening the door for all to view.

5. “Yogabeans!” by Elastigirl. If you want a cheap laugh, go here. If not, stray away from this blog. The entire blog chronicles the yoga lessons of various super-hero action figures through captioned pictures. Although you are sure to get a laugh out of this one, some jokes just seem so incredibly silly that you’d swear a ten year old came up with it. But then again, that’s probably true. I was amused by this, but it didn’t keep my interest for that long, so it’s great for whittling away at least a few minutes while at work or school.

No comments:

Post a Comment